Sunday, March 28, 2010

Suggestion for a sleepless night

Cant' sleep? Do what a friend of mine does. Read poetry. I am not implying that poetry is so boring that it will put you to sleep. But it can be soothing, especially if read aloud---which may mean moving to another room. But the sounds and rhythms can be as calming as deep breathing. Keep an anthology by the bedside. I recommend "Americans' Favorite Poems" edited by Robert Pinsky and Maggie Dietz.


Beautiful images can quiet a busy mind. Haiku is a garden of beautiful images. One that I re-read often is "The Essential Haiku" edited by Robert Hass.

Of course, there are also many poems that can sprout in your ear buds and are the next best thing to having someone read to you. And we all love being read to sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting suggestion. I've come to the conclusion that if I'm tossing and turning trying to get to sleep, I'm forcing my body to do something it doesn't want to do. I won't fight it because it's a frustrating waste of time. Instead I'll get out of bed and do something productive. I'll add ATTT to the list of possible activities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm---stirrings for a new poem---Ode To A Sleepless Night. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete