Friday, January 24, 2014

January Thaw



The snow that came this January is going to stick around for awhile. 
Usually, our January storms melt quickly in warming temperatures
and bright sunlight.  But this year, the cold will mold it into grayish­
brown lumps that displease the eye and that continue to lurk in odd
 places to trip us, when least expecting it.  It is very, very cold. 
Extremely cold for this area.  It is finger and toe numbing cold. 
Numbing is the word of this month and segues into my January blog.

We have so many ways of numbing our feelings.  We push them
down…freeze them into such odd lumps that they become
inaccessible.  We have learned ways to numb our feelings through
alcohol, food, drugs (prescription or other), shopping, TV in excess,
frantic busyness etc.…a list we know all too well.

There are times when it is necessary to "numb out" and ok to do so.
Whatever gets you through.  But if we stick around in these places,
it will be hard to welcome a January thaw.  We will get used to being
numb.  I refuse to use the old cliche, get in touch with your feelings. 
Let me put it this way.  Get in touch with some poetry, some music,
some close friends.  Have a January Thaw Party.  Go to an art gallery
or dig out an art book and let the landscapes of spring and summer
warm you.  Have a heart to heart talk with a good friend.  Let the
tears flow.  One of the best parts of being human is having feelings. 
Feel them.

4 comments:

  1. I think perhaps it's not just January ... people in general tend to be in a state of chronic numbness and routine. It's good advice to turn off the TV and do something -- anything -- that makes you feel human. Thanks for the reminder. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right...and I guess one could numb out overusing the computer as well :-) (especially Facebook), but at least it's interactive. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great reminder to think about. Be away from the computer as much as we can, (FB, especially) or stay away from the tv. Well, I hardly watch tv. But, the internet at times I am hooked. And sometimes I catch myself being on (FB) at times. I learned to enjoy music, go outside, drive around or do some art...keep ourselves occupied. People are glued to the interweb or cell phones. I have to admit, I am one of them. I am trying to not be addicted to both of them. Only if I need to use for certain reasons. I wish we were living in the early years where their were no interwebs or cell phones. Everyone is out enjoying quality times with family and friends. There are MORE communications back then. I mean, if you look outside in public areas where there are bunch of peoples...you see people on phones talking or using the web or txting while chatting with other people. Even at dinner tables at restaurants. That is sad right there. There is no communications, or quality time with each other...you know?

      Anyways, I think its important to back away the interwebs and cell phones and see nature, art, listen to music...being with friends. We are missing the wonderful things in this world.

      Thanks for the reminder. :-D

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your thoughts Ana. Giving full attention to another person is a wonderful thing.

      Delete